In-Depth Knowledge On A College Budget

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Part IV: Head to Head Competition - Free Agent Ethics

My last portion of head to head play deals with the ethics involved with picking up players - particularly pitchers off of free agents to boost wins and/or strikeouts against your opponent when the ERA and WHIP categories appear to be cemented to one side or another. Here are the two policies we have that make this process much easier to follow through on.
1. We don't have a maximum amount of games played or innings on a weekly or season basis.
2. We don't have a cap for how many moves an owner can make during the season.

Both of these policies are in place so that GMs can stay active and keep interest. There has been discussion that we should change both of these rules particularly the second one, but I remain reluctant to do so. Instead I believe that everyone in the league has an ethical responsibility to the other owners to make transactions beyond the contribution of just one game. It is particularly important to follow up on this in a league among friends. But just to assure fair play, last season we did implement a policy that froze rosters for the playoffs (you could only drop players) and we are continuing that policy this season.

There is a situation where I would pick up a pitcher on the last day and this is why it is important we keep the rules we have. Today (the second last day of the weekly matchups) for instance I picked up Livan Hernandez because Rich Harden went on the DL. I did this because I believe Livan is the best pitcher available. If he had a start on Sunday, then I would start him not because of how the matchup is going but because Livan is a good pitcher. Who's to say that I'm really being honorable with my reasoning? Well like I said its a league among friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Lithman said...

I built a site for sports bloggers, http://www.mvptimes.com

It's a place where fans can submit, vote on and discuss sports news.

I invite you to participate, and am also interested in a link exchange.

email me at mvptimes@yahoo.com

9:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home