In-Depth Knowledge On A College Budget

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Draft Position

Drafting with back to back picks is not good. I like the 4th and 5th round going back to back, but after that it stinks. Its near impossible to get two great picks with these picks because you are focused on getting one guy. When that guy goes, you are stuck with 2 picks and 0 players that you want. You make your picks, and if you are not satisfied with taking Keith Foulke or think you took Matt Holliday too soon you have to wait 19 more picks to attone for what you did.
My top three pitchers are Rich Harden, Noah Lowry, and Matt Cain. I would love to get better pitchers than that in a 10 team league, but when it appeared there was a lot of quality pitchers on the board, I would pass on them only to see them all go the next round.

Obviously there is nothing you can do with your destiny on what pick you get, but I did learn a little from the experience. If there is a trend such as people passing on first basemen, you can't wait to take advantage of it. As soon as one player grabs a first basemen, other teams will follow and by the time the draft cycles back to you, the surplus of great first basemen are gone. Therefore you just have to draft talent.

Another tip for when you don't have back to back tips: know who the other guys in your league like. Sean drafted Carlos Beltran with his 9th pick (technically pick 39 since we had 3 rounds of keepers), but he didn't know that I had no interest in Beltran with picks 10 and 11. If he knew this he could have waited on Beltran to pick number 12 and taken Travis Hafner with pick 9. But hey, I'll take it.

Sean's mistake leads me to one of the things I did right. I told nobody in the league who I liked or didn't like. Its annoying to keep your mouth shut, but it can pay off - I think Hafner will stay healthy and be a stud this year.

All in all I'm excited with the squad I think its the best offense in the league, its up to keeping up with the trends and changes now to maintaining it.
C AJ Pyrzinski
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Rickie Weeks
SS Michael Young
3B Melvin Mora
OF Manny Ramirez
OF Barry Bonds
OF Matt Holliday
UTIL Travis Hafner
UTIL Paul Konerko

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home